Our Vision He rae ki te rae, he ihu ki te ihu, te hau ka rere, te hā ka tau.
A meeting of peoples, a mixing of cultures, a blending of heritage, a sharing of future.
Te Hā – and the practice of sharing breath – brings us together. It allows us to acknowledge the past while creating a future together.
In 2019, at home and around the country, Tuia – Encounters 250 will recognise our nation’s rich navigating traditions spanning some 1,000 years. We will explore the many extraordinary feats of put tīpuna, those early Pacific voyagers who reached and settled in Aotearoa. We will acknowledge our European navigating history and the pivotal moment our two cultures met in 1769. We will look to the future.
In Tairawhiti, Te Ha is partnering with the broader community to breath life into this kuapapa.
Our activities are focused on leaving legacy are bound by seven thematic strands:
- Te hekenga o nga waka — voyaging.
- A tatou korero — the stories of our place.
- Wananga — gathering and sharing knowledge.
- Tukua te korero kia rere — education.
- Huia Tairawhiti – opportunities to come together via arts and culture.
- Tiaki Taiao – taking care of land, waterways and the ocean.
- Haukaenga – tourism product development led by the people of this place.
Sharing our knowledge
Looking towards a dual shared future
By sharing our knowledge and telling the whole story of Polynesian and European settlements of Aotearoa and the impact of first meetings, we will enhance understanding and empathy, and build a strong foundation for a shared future.
Join us on our journey to October 2019