Our Stories / Heritage Sites
Landing site, Anaura Bay
Within two days of turning north, the Endeavour was west of the Mahia peninsula.
A waka with five men came out to the vessel and, according to Banks, went aboard without fear and informed the Endeavour crew they would stay the night.
Their waka was hoisted up alongside. The next morning, 19 October 1769, the men and their waka were set down north-east of the peninsula.
Cook sailed further out at sea, passing inside offshore fishing ground Te Toka-a-Huru (Ariel Rocks) and past Tūranganui to reach east of Whangara by about midday. The friendly approach of the people in the three waka that came out to greet the Endeavour here, Monkhouse reported, left “no doubt of our fame having reached these good People”.
Monkhouse also noted that the ear of one man who boarded was adorned with two tattooed fingernails and a narrow piece of greenstone. He was presented with a medal of the current King (a brass copy of a 1761 gold guinea), and a Tahitian garment, made from prized barkcloth. The coin was probably the one recovered during an archaeological site survey at Whangara in 1983. That afternoon, they passed Pari-nui-te-ra, the headland they called Gable End Foreland because its high, triangular shaped cliffs reminded the Europeans of church and farmhouse gables.
Cook sighted two northern bays where he was determined to load water. Two waka soon followed by another 11, came out as the Endeavour approached Uawa on 20 October. Realising the vessel could not tack into the bay, the paddlers urged Cook and his men to sail north to Anaura where water was plentiful.
Cook recorded that these people had heard about the shootings at Tūranganui but were not afraid. They were instead keen to exchange gifts. The Endeavour sailed into Anaura late morning of 20 October 1769. She anchored in the shelter of Motuoroi Island where a large, fenced village had long since been abandoned. Seventeen waka gathered alongside. Two chiefs, one wearing a dogskin cloak, the other a cloak of red parrot feathers, quickly accepted the invitation to board. Below them, about 130 men gathered in their waka.
Cook gave each chief four yards of linen, with which, he noted, they were very pleased, and a spike nail, for which they held little value. Making friends with the chiefs before going ashore probably enabled a more cordial reception than at Tūranganui.
After a failed first attempt to land, Cook, Banks, Solander and some armed men successfully went ashore in small boats later in the afternoon to look for fresh water.
This was their second landing or landfall in Aotearoa. The people’s friendliness encouraged Cook to stay another day, which allowed them to collect more water, wild celery, scurvy grass and plant specimens. At Tūranganui, Anaura and Uawa, Banks and Solander are believed to have gathered two thirds of the 360 botanical specimens taken from New Zealand.
Large cultivations of sweet potatoes, taro and yams supported a seafood-rich diet for the population of about 150. The people traded about 15 pounds of kumara with Cook’s crew.
Unable to complete the watering because of heavy surf, Cook sailed away from Anaura early on 22 October. Foul winds foiled his attempts to go north.
Anaura people pointed him towards Uawa, its excellent water and easy shore landings.